These are my own personal ten writing commandments of good writing practice, or alternatively, ten attributes I think a writer needs to be successful:
- Perseverance: Write daily
- Trust: Don’t wait for creativity, expect it
- Prudence: Have the good sense to know when not to write. Forcing writing when you just can’t get into it will foster resentment and make the next session hard to start
- Fairness: Don’t engage in self-flagellation for not writing
- Sustainability: Finish the current project before moving on to a new one
- Adventurousness: Try different genres, styles of writing etc
- Initiative: Don’t wait to be praised and be original
- Studiousness: Read daily – a writer is always absorbing and learning
- Fastidiousness: Research everything.
- Zeal: Do what makes your heart sing.